Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Code of Ethics for Technical Writers

A code of ethics sounds so serious I wonder what that would entail for technical communicators.


I think I am just a little bit afraid of certification. What does that entail? I know as a TDWI follower that certification as a BI Developer for TDW is quite something. There is so much to know and study. Yet they are so revered. The data architects are gods where I work. The business analysts (ever heard of a BA in Business Analysis?) aren't quite the gods that the dba's are but they are still above technical writer.

I remember once working for a small-med sized election systems company and discovering 75% of the technical writers in the group did not even have a bachelor's degree. One was working on their undergraduate degree while working full time as a technical writer. Another had a machinery background but no writing skills other than the desire to write. He seemed to catch on to FrameMaker quickly.

I guess that is something. It made me feel powerless, invisible, stupid, like why did I go to college, why am I going to grad school if it isn't even recognized?

No comments:

Post a Comment