Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Winter Puts on Her Lipstick

Early Fall in Nebraska is a fleeting friendship
Is it going to be nice out one more time, no more times?
I'm not going out there, it's just a trick.

There might be wind or rain or humidity
It could be hot or bitterly cold (in the same day)

There's probably something up in the air right now
It's deceptive - the changing leaves, the sunny skies, there's a quiet in the trees.

A quiet that is restless, that wants out, to open up and hurl its innards upon us.
It sits out there waiting, for a fall picnic, a football game, putting on its lipstick.

I don't trust it, this fleeting friendship - I know it's just a mask, a costume, a cover up.
Oh how I want to plan one more day of yardwork, a trip downtown, an outdoor shopping mall cornucopia.
But I don't dare because it is waiting
It wants to ruin our plans

A Nebraskan

No comments:

Post a Comment