Friday, October 8, 2010

How do technical writers manage user-authored content in a read/write web environment?

On October 5, 2010, I posted the following Feed on my Yammer:
 
How do technical writers manage user-authored content in a read/write web environment? When a user posts content that is either outdated, in error, or in conflict with company values, should this be managed? If so, how?
 
EA (identity hidden): I think it's absolutely the case we need to manage it, in a respectful way. We owe it to those that would read our work to make sure that the content they rely on is accurate and consistent. That said, user-authored content is often a gift - of the author's time, energies, or knowledge, and we need to [sic] those contributions with gratitude. As a contributor, I'd like to be contacted and told that my efforts were appreciated and told either that my information is incorrect and pointed to the correct information, or that there might be a better way to phrase what I'd written.
 
Chief Architect

No comments:

Post a Comment